September 2, 2013

Tearing Up the Floors

So I've been wanting to redo the floors in the house since we've moved in, it was a lot harder than I thought though. The people who lived in the house before us had carpet over the hardwood and I think carpet is kinda gross, especially if you have a cat that peed everywhere, like the people before us... 
So we ripped up the carpet the night we moved in, no joke, and started ripped up staples off the floor. Since there was carpet there were rows of staples in the floor and you have to take them out one by one. There is no easier way, I googled, YouTubed and asked everyone I saw at Home Depot. 

These were my tools for the job...
A tinie tiny screw driver
Pliers 
And this awesome staple remover 
I also had a mason jar to put all the staples in. 

It took a couple bloody knuckles to get a good flow going ;)

But eventually the whole room was done. And now it was ready to sand... 



So after watching some videos about sanding the floor I thought I was ready to give it a go. We rented a drum sander from Home Depot. You go over the floors with a 80 grit sandpaper and then again with a 20 grit. Then I took a palm sander and did the same thing around the edge and then it was done. 


And then I stained it. 


I just took a little towel and started in one corner and just went back and forth rubbing the stain in. It's kinda like a big coloring book, your trying to stay in the lines and have an even color. 
Then I put the polyurethane on, this was the easiest part but you have to let it dry, like, forever. Seriously. It says you should let it dry for 3 days and not to put furniture on it for a week. Well, I put the polyurethane on Friday morning and HGTV is filming in the room now, oops. 

And on that note, HGTV is filming at my house now!! And it is absolute craziness! 
I don't think I actually knew what would go into filming a show in your house..... It's a HUGE thing! My neighbors probably hate me or think I'm crazy, with the line of cars in front of my house and a camera in my front yard. 
This was my son living up his dream of a camera man ;) 


And today was his first day of kindergarten. So it's been wild around here to say the least. 
Tomorrow we get to see the room they are decorating and I am suuuuper excited!!!! 

XoXoXOxo
Stephanie 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

No comments:

Post a Comment